Pre Reading Screening Skills
Designed for any educator working with students who are in the earliest stages of literacy development, the Pre-Reading Skills class teaches participants techniques to help students develop oral language, phonological awareness, and introduce recognizing and writing the alphabet.
• The understanding of what children need to know before they learn to read
• A study of the normal development of oral language Oral language skills – listening and speaking
• Phonological awareness activities for the classroom
• The sight, sound, form and key-word of each letter of the alphabet
• The major components of reading acquisition
• Current assessment strategies for beginning readers
• Indicators of reading problems and characteristics of language/learning disabilities
12.5 classroom hours. This workshop is approved for 1 graduate level extension credit through University of San Diego. Registration for extension credit must happen ON or BEFORE the first day of the workshop.
Looking for a Different Class?
Non-discrimination Policy: Slingerland® Institute for Literacy admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and other programs.