• The understanding of what children need to know before they learn to read
• A study of the normal development of oral language Oral language skills – listening and speaking
• Phonological awareness activities for the classroom
• The sight, sound, form and key-word of each letter of the alphabet
• The major components of reading acquisition
• Current assessment strategies for beginning readers
• Indicators of reading problems and characteristics of language/learning disabilities
12.5 classroom hours. This workshop is approved for 1 graduate level extension credit through University of San Diego.
Looking for a Different Class?
Non-discrimination Policy: Slingerland® Institute for Literacy admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and other programs.